Saturday, April 17, 2010

As Predicted.

Here I am, blogging on a Saturday night. Well, the good news is I am now confirmed as a permanent staff. On my first official day, I slogged till 4.20am. This kinda celebration for my first official day definitely is not what I would like, but oh well.

I was slaving for 2 pitches which were due on the same day. Needless to say, the art director I paired up with had to stay back even later than I needed to. Oh, and remember my last blog post, I talked about him going to give no ideas? I was wrong about it. He had a decent idea and we went along with it. Let's see how things go from here.

So on Friday, the boss treated us to dinner. His budget was $50-60 per person. We were at Harry's bar at Esplanade and yeah, it was a good meal. But there's this underlying worry. After something good, much more work is gonna pour in. Like how we were rewarded with a company trip to KL but when we went back to the next day, everyone had to work OT. This time round, I wonder that's coming...

I believe that while such treats are essential, words of praise and appreciation work the best. Bosses don't have to give treats all the time. Just a short meeting to appreciate the effort and hard work put in would do. It's demoralizing to slog till the wee hours and when the bosses see you, they say nothing at all. But I've come to realize that bosses are humans too. They, too make mistakes. And one such mistake that should not be made is the absence of praise or appreciation. A few words of appreciation would boost morale and you can expect better work the next time. But duh.

It's okay though. If they want it to be like that, then I guess we could all think like that - I work for you, you give me the money. And how long would you expect your employees to stay? Not long. So good luck people.