Friday, March 20, 2009

Functionalist & Deviance

Today we were just discussing from the functionalist perspective about prostitution in Singapore. It seems to serve a function for social stability. But our prof was pleasantly surprised to hear that prostitution is legal here. Well, let's not go too much into it, I might be under some form of surveillance. Ah!

A deviant is someone who does things that are against the norms in society. It might not be necessarily illegal. Similarly the functionalist argues that deviance serves a purpose in society. Hmm... It does, or else there'll be no progress in society since nobody challenges norms.

Somehow, I'm on the side and view more from the functionalists' perspective. I guess the practicality makes sense.

Right, it's 4 more days till end of lectures. Somehow, I want time to pass a little slower. I mean, I can still remember the first day of school in October 2006, and the first person I talked to was Kaykay. Ha ha.