Sunday, January 24, 2010

Reminders

Somehow, little reminders around us come again and again. For some reason, I have been constantly reminded of my passion for the performing arts. I was a dancer for 3 years in primary school, then a saxophonist for 6 years straight from secondary school to junior college. The performer in me then just ceased, with me being an occasional audience to performances.

I miss those times when I was totally immersed in music. No distractions, no other thoughts, just plain enjoying hitting the notes and creating melodies with the rest of the band members.

Then I discovered my passion for writing. Not as deep as how I felt towards music, but enough for me to get a job related to that. Without proper certifications in music, it's almost impossible to carve a career out of it really.

I wonder if it's some sort of calling. There's still that voice in me that says, "Go do what you always wanted to." That is - to pick up another instrument formally or continue playing the saxophone.

Sometimes, being torn between true passion and career is not such a nice feeling. Any advice anybody?