Monday, August 25, 2008

Your Value System

Just one month back at the EXCO retreat, we were told to identify values we related to and rank them in order of importance. That forms part of our value system.

My top 3 values:

1. Freedom
2. Decision-making (can't remember the exact words)
3. Passion (If I didn't remember the word wrongly)

By freedom, it means being able to do the things you want to do; by decision making, it means that making decisions are very important; by passion, it means the things that one likes to do is important.

Accordingly, if your values come under threat or it has to be put aside or when things you have to do contradict with it, then one will become very unhappy. While doing this exercise, kor was just mentioning that he finally understood why mum told him that I have a weird temperament. Well, that's because my top value is freedom. Having brought up in a home where freedom and personal space was a priority to all of us, naturally there's this more rebellious streak in me.

What's your value system?
------------------------------
What's your Personality Profile?

Surely most of us have done a form of personality profiling or another. In JC, I did the DISC personality profiling. In EXCO retreats, I did the BEST personality profiling. Well, both are pretty similar.

D - Dominant = likes control and be the boss
I - Influential = likes to talk a lot and influence people
S - Sociable = likes to socialize a lot
C - Compliant = everything must be correct, follows rules and regulations

B - Bossy = equivalent to the D
E - Expressive = equivalent to the I
S - Sociable = equivalent to the S
T - Thinker = equivalent to the C

If you didn't know, there's an inherent (in-born) and adapted (adapted to situations) profile of everyone. For me, I'm a DC or a BT. Inherently a D or a B, adapted a C or a T. In fact, it is a contradicting personality because the bossy or the dominant tends to be very decisive, impatient, quick and on the ball while the compliant or the thinker tends to indulge a lot into details and usually get so caught up by it that they spend too much time on details.

Thus, having to struggle with being deciding quick and being careful about details, I get frustrated. But it's not that having this personality means you will be that forever, it's also about learning how to adapt to situations and use them to your advantage.

Apparently, my S and E/I are the lowest. It shows that I don't really like to talk or socialize a lot. Similarly, it doesn't mean that I'm forever like that, I still can rise to the occasion and adapt, just with some effort.

Also, under most situations, people will show their adapted profiles, but in situations of stress then the inherent profile gets out. So, seen me in both before? (:
---------------------
Just spending sometime typing out and reflecting on my personality. Sometimes when there's no one to talk to - or at least not at this time - it's nice to talk about it to yourself on the blog - a personal space though open to public viewing.

And to kor kor, I need that heart-to-heart-brother-sister talk. Bet you'll understand me better than anyone else.